Thursday, March 10, 2011

Giving up my comfort zone

Lent - this is a confusing time for me and I'll tell you why.

I have heard for years either seriously or in jest about the things people give up for Lent.  Instead of giving up soda pop or chocolate for Lent, this year I'm doing something different.

When I was reading my Guideposts devotional I was inspired by one of the writers.  She gave up her comfort zone for Lent.  And that ended up being something she did the whole year through.


What in my comfort zone can I give up?  My fear of rejection when I reach out to people?  My pride that says it is me that takes care of things?  My comfort at feeling like I'm in control when I know deep in my heart He is.  My discomfort being around people who are not my first choice for company? Maybe it is my need to be busy instead of being attendant to God?

In my comfort zone I don't count my blessings as much as I should, they are just there.  In my comfort zone the things I need are just within reach.  Always.  What if they were not?  What if that job or friend or _______wasn't there?  What if it was just you and God?

How can we make Him our comfort zone and within that we can be blessed freely?  I have been learning not to lean on myself but upon Him.  That shouldn't be so hard but I confess freely that it is!

When we are able to give up some of our comfort zone maybe we'll find ways to share God  and the message of the empty tomb. When I think of giving up my comfort zone I am reminded what Jesus gave up on the Cross and I'm humbled. I'm awed.  He did that for me.  He did that for YOU!


Feel free to share your Lenten journey with us in the comments...be brightly blessed, always and in all ways.



What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

2 comments:

  1. This is really great post !
    I love love lent because it is like God's gift of an extra long New Years ! I never do new years resolutions because it is like a whim a blind promise that people more often then not end up breaking ;-)
    I love lent .it gives us time to figure it all out . work on our not so great behaviours ,weather we are Christian or not if secular people do not like the word sin they can just see it as unhealthy habits or behaviours . Of course me being a Christian I love the acknowldgement of sin , learning how to surrender and give things up and ultimately the forgiveness that comes . It is the bestest .
    Does it feel good , nope ,hard work usually involves some twsting , bending etc. Then in the end for all that hard work a big big reward ! Forgivness from God is like a big big release for me . It is complete and utter freedom . I love it . way better then any old silly new years resolution ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for coming by Rox, and I love your sharing about Lent! Bright blessings...!

    ReplyDelete